Monday, June 2, 2008

"I've been sitting, waiting wishing...." Pre-arrival reflection

...So here I sit, waiting to board my final flight that will bring me to my long awaited adventures in Capetown. I'm back in Africa and could not be more excited. After studying abroad in Kenya and then leaving for short while to travel around the South Pacific, I have had a little bit of time to reflect on my experiences in Africa and learn to appreciate the culture (despite the frustrations and daily inconveniences that were so prevalent). I feel so lucky to have the unique opportunity to experience two African countries and cultures in the same year. And to be honest, I am a bit overwhelmed and nervous. After spending so much time in Kenya, I'm afraid that I'm going to approach my time here in South Africa in a more judgmental manner with a lot of preconceived notions. I truly hope that I will be able to have an open mind about what I experience in Capetown and not over compare my time here with my previous experiences. South Africa is a new place, a new culture, and a new experience. If I come in to this opportunity with the right mindset, I believe this experience will challenge me and expand my perception of the world...Let the adventures begin!!!

No comments: