Saturday, June 7, 2008

Unique Approaches to Life

The past few days have been spent living in the Gugulethu, one of the largest slums in S.Africa, and experiencing the people and culture in hopes that it would broaden our views of the world. I can honestly say that in the past few days, I have been surrounded by the most amazing people I've ever met in my entire life. Every morning different individuals would come in and meet with the class and share their life stories with us. One woman's story is something that I will remember for the rest of my life. She explained how she was raped years ago and contracted HIV. Her actual story is obviously incredibly heartbreaking, yet her attitude was unbelievable. She is hands down the most smiley and genuinely happy person I've ever met. She focused on the fact that life is extremely hard, yet no matter what obstacles are thrown at you, you have a choice of how to react. Although she has had horrible things happen to her throughout her life, she makes the choice to be happy.
Our nights in the townships were spent eating and dancing. Every night we all gathered together with our host moms at one persons home and had group dinners. Afterwards, the women would crank up traditional African music and hardcore dance. Now these women aren't young 20 year old kids like the rest of us, they are much older women, yet that didn't seem to matter. As outsiders, we come into the slums with this judgmental eye, assuming that life sucks. However, although these women have been faced with many challenges in their lives, it doesn't stop them from dancing. The amazing thing about people that have nothing, is that they appreciate everything. They have the only thing that truly matters in life... each other. They are somehow able to focus their attention only on the good things in life, approaching their struggles with so much optimism, faith, and support from one another. They are beautiful, their lives are beautiful. I have never met people that are so free. I have so much to learn from them.
...I am eternally grateful for the opportunity and the honor of being surrounded by so many amazing people. They are forever in my heart.

1 comment:

Lana said...

Hiii best friend!!

I love reading about your experiences over there. I feel like you're going to come back a totally changed person! Now, I was initially sad about that because I knew I wasn't part of your change, but I know that whatever you gain from this trip will be so beneficial to you and a positive step forward in your development as a person and friend! Looove you and can't wait to see you! Enjoy your last week!

Lana